About My Blog

My name is Aalyan and for my A level Media Studies that I am currently doing at Ilkley Grammar School I have created a blog to share the work I will be producing over the next year and so.

Thursday 9 May 2019

M3 - How the adverts comply with the codes and conventions of the media sectors

Billboard

You can view my billboard advertisements here.

Within the marketing industry there are two  advertisement boards both at different sizes.

There is a smaller portrait billboard that is designed to fit bus stops and other public transports such as a train station. This type of billboard is called a 6 sheet advertising board, it has the dimensions of 47.24" x 70.87" ( 1.2m x 1.8m) .

To make sure that my billboard was within this technical code I set the canvas size in illustrator to this dimension, this converted them to vector graphics meaning that when scaled to different sizes the images will not lose any resolution.


With the other form of billboard advertisement, it is of larger dimension and is known as a 48 sheet billboard, and has the size of 6.096m x 3.048m. This type of billboard is common in the london underground and often seen on the sides of buildings and on stands near the streets.

To ensure that my billboard met this technical code I once again set the canvas size in illustrator to this specific dimension.




















Most billboard adverts include a large logo of the TV network that is broadcasting the promoted show alongside with the main characters and a key symbol or slogan from the program. ( For example above the BBC advertisement has a tag line of 'Biggest Dance anthems' this will target that specific sector of music and those who enjoy dance music will be most likely intrigued to listen to abc radio1). The background is used to suggest the theme or location of the tv show, on my billboard I have used a football pitch as the location setting and then had a black to white gradient overlaying to try and set the dark and serious theme of the programme.  There is also usually  an ident for the programme that is used to tie all the adverts in the campaign together. On my billboard I didn't have a specific tag line as such but i used the same colours throughout that advert with the title on each poster to link them together.


In my billboards I attempted to included these conventions throughout my campaign. I started off by ensuring each billboard advert will have the BBC 3 logo on to clearly state where the viewer can watch the programme. I set the background as a football pitch to represent the use ion football to escape from the domestic abuse the protagonist suffers, this latter fact is also represented in the backgrounds it has a gradient that goes from white to black to represent a 'dark' theme. The billboard also features the main character and prominent symbols from the series in the billboard, with use of drugs in the billboard and a football.


TV Advert

You can view my TV advert here.

The majority of BBC drama trailers range in duration between 30 seconds to 120 seconds. My advert will have a runtime for 100 seconds, this is a similar runtime to "The Night Manager" Trailer as well as the "Taboo" trailer both of which are BBC dramas. In The trailer for taboo it includes snippets of voice overs ,and had fast paced edits and cut scenes this runs in both trailers this will have been done to build suspense through post production. Many of these shots use the  'dip to black' effect this is used to attract the potential audience and leaving them wanting to watch more.


In my TV advert I used the 'Dip to Black' technique when switching from an outdoor scene to an indoor scene, this was broken up with a transition as well. My trailer uses storytelling to try and gain an audience to do this i used a voiceover from the main character, this was so the audience can grasp a more personal relationship to the protagonist.

In the BBC 3 trailers above they used natural lighting for "The night manager" trailer in some clips this was as similar convention i complied to in creating my advertisement when shooting outdoors. When indoors, i followed the same conventions in the trailers linked above and used artificial lighting created from lamps behind the cameras directed on to the cast.

The music i used in my advert was the instrumental from the song 'Drama' by Dave from his album 'Psychodrama'. This music is ideal as its slow paced theme fits perfectly with the dialogue and visual shots. This is a similar way to how the BBC chose music for the advert   "Taboo", they choose a fact paced song which links to the dialogue and visuals and the plot of which that they are  trying to solve mystery.

I have also watermarked the BBC Three logo on to the advert just as it is on the official BBC adverts.


Radio Advert

You can listen to my radio advert here.

This advert has been taken from BBC Radio 1 Jordan North.

This advert has follows the structure of BBC advertisements, so I used this structure to create my advert by following the conventions within this advertisement.

The advert starts and ends with a voiceover detailing what the programme is about. It also includes soundbites from the running tv advert in key plot defining moments. There is also related backing music playing to set the mood/style of what the program will be like. All BBC radio adverts usually have a runtime between 30 seconds to a 90 seconds.

I followed these codes and conventions to make my advert to the required standard. The advert will have a run time of 74 seconds, this complies with the conventions of adverts that can be played on the BBC network.

The advert ends with a voiceover of when the programme will be aired and the name of the film. The advert is made up of soundbites from the TV advert.  I also include the same backing track as in the adverts, this is done to  give listeners a better feel of how the programme will run.


Social Media Adverts

You can view my Social media adverts here.

I took inspiration for my social media advert from the BBC3 twitter page and followed their structure to comply with their conventions. I focused on creating the imagery from the production as this is a common theme that runs through the BBC social pages. This is done to give an insight into the action and amen people more likely to click on the links o the series.




There is a common theme of using the same colours throughout the promotion. I have done a similar thing within  my social media campaign and used reoccurring colours and themes. This includes the use of the BBC3 logo on every post

Twitter allows the use of polls so we can use this to our vantage to gain what things the audience will want to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment