About My Blog

My name is Aalyan and for my A level Media Studies that I am currently doing at Ilkley Grammar School I have created a blog to share the work I will be producing over the next year and so.

Wednesday 8 May 2019

M3/D1 - Responding to feedback to my pitch.



The feedback i received from BBC representative Kristel Hutchings was positive on a whole, she was complimentary of the message and issues I was trying to push to raise awareness to. From the feedback i received she was happy with the awareness i was raising for mental and domestic abuse of children and young adults.However an issue she raised was that due to it being based around a child in school it may then appeal to a younger audience than i had intended for this being on 'CBBC'. She was then curious to how i intended to make this not appeal to that audience and rather a older audience that of BBC3. In my response i highlighted that there will be a heavy use of drugs and violence outside of the school environment and how this is more aimed towards the older audience as they will be able to relate to these topics as well a understanding of the severity of the topics. but i can see why the younger audience may be intrigued by the show as they are being introduced to things that they may not have seen before.

Kristel then said that it is possible to change the football aspect to any other sport as she does not see it as a main vehicle of the series, and she then asked me how I intend on making the football aspect be the vehicle that drives my drama series whilst trying not to include a large amount of football clips that may bore certain audiences and focussing more on the character progression. I responded to this by indicating that i use the sports a method of an escapism for the protagonist. I chose football as it is the most popular sport in the country and is easily relatable to as well a show it can unite to many different communities as we saw with england's success in the world cup last year.

In addition to this, Kristel further mentioned the lack of female representation that I have in the film and that the potential female character I have is the mother and how her representation isn't very positive in the first place. I responded by reminding her that i will have a Girlfriend within the drama series who will portray a positive message one that pulls the main character out of depression. I also addressed her point of the mother being a poor representative of  a female to that of the father who will also be a poor  representative of the male and how throughout the drama series we will see both aspects of positive and negative male and female representation (Gender equality).

Furthermore, I was questioned by the client  on what social grade and demographic the target audience will be as well as what pleasure the audience will receive. My response was that I will be aiming towards the lower and working class demographic as they will be able to relate to the protagonist as he has grown up within that type of environment. But this isn't to rule out the higher class, as they will have an interest in the life of others especially those who don't live as lavish of a life as them and see what struggles they go through, as well as possibly being able to relate to issues such as the domestic abuse and poor mental health. For the type of audience pleasure I feel the audience will gain is surveillance, as they are able to gain an insight into a world that they may have never been introduced to such issues or have had a look into them.


I was also questioned on my ideal budget, which aired to have been misjudged on my part or poorly explained. I had asked for a budget of between $80,000 and $100,000 which i soon realised may be a bit much so have now lowered it to $60,000. I will use this budget for casting, legal issues, costumes , Location scouts and hire swell a high quality Equipment hire as i aim to film my drama series on a 4K Red camera which will take a big portion of the budget i feel it will be worth it.

Kristel also raised concerns about potential racial issues that may arise from the series and whether I had thought of this in casting and as a potential sub plot. I responded by saying that i had chosen to have a protagonist of colour for diversity within the show. And how him being of colour allows us to explore different cultures that the audience may not have had an insight into this being another method of surveillance on the pleasures section. For thee idea of having the racial aspect as a sub plot I feel that this will work well as it allows us to explore another issue that affects so many in football as well as just everyday modern society.

Overall, rom the extensive feedback i have received i feel that i coped well but have issues to solve such as possibly removing aspects of school to help target my own audience, in addition to this I will find a solution how i represent females in the series as well as those of colour.

How I would adapt 'A Game of Two Halves' if it got the Green light.

If my show was to be given the green light by BBC3 the improvement I would make are:

- To adapt my show to include more positive female representation. For example a female teacher that helps him in school, Or an older female relative that can help him through his struggles. I can also possibly use a female football coach and then explore issues she may face in a sector that is dominated by males.

- To have less school aspects within the show to help and reach my preferred target audience rather than the older cbbc audience.

- To reconsider the driving factor of the show and how I am able to implement all the issues within to the character progression and development of the series. And rot do it with respect to each issue by not causing offence to any sufferers of the spoken problems. As well as ensuring i provide helplines for the issues i mention in the episodes so those that need help are able to get it.

- To possibly have less on-field action as it may bore audiences' and to have more drama off-field that will help lure in the audience and keep them interested throughout the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment